Thursday, September 20, 2007

Amos Lee: Why I think he probably has a lovely soul

I saw Amos Lee in concert about a year ago. I had never heard of him and a friend had a free ticket. I was so moved. When it was over I honestly felt he had left a piece of himself in the room. I felt like I knew him. He provoked in me that feeling that there are beautiful souls still out there, still feeling everything sharply, loving deeply and with complete abandon, still hoping for peace in a completely adorable and naive way, just lovely in all the classic ways. I started writing him letters that I could never bring myself to send. The silliness of writing to celebrities and the hope that they will nevertheless find your correspondence compelling and want to be your friend or something...well, I just couldn’t allow myself that frivolity. I wonder why he is not more popular--maybe he is more popular. I’m hardly the one to look to for the pulse on what is popular. If you’ve never heard of him, google him, he’s got a myspace page and a label homepage as well.

No comments: